Useful Google Chrome Extensions for Salesforce

From my experience, there is a general consensus that Google Chrome is one of the best web browsers currently available. Tools like the Developer Tools allow users who understand what they are doing to edit the DOM and styles and monitor performance. On top of all that, Google Chrome provides the best suite of JavaScript debugging through the JavaScript Console and the ability to set breakpoints. Knowing Google Chrome has all of these features, it is the obvious choice for a Salesforce developer to use. With that thought in mind, how can we make Google Chrome even better? Let’s take a look at some cool Google Chrome Extensions that make life with Salesforce even better!

Salesforce.com Sandbox Favicon Extension

This is one of my favorite extensions. Have you ever been logged into a sandbox and production at the same time? Of course you have! This makes it even easier to distinguish between the two environments. This simple extension will add a small S over the cloud Favicon in your browser’s tab. It makes switching between tabs incredibly simple.

Force.com LOGINS

Keeping with that idea that you are constantly switching between environments, wouldn’t it be nice to have all of those logins stored in an easy to use location? Well, this extension will allow you to save and group together all of your Salesforce login info and make logging into an org a single click process.

Salesforce.com Enhanced Formula Editor

This extension is incredibly useful for anyone who has even written even a semi-complicated formula. This extension will change your formula editor to have syntax highlighting, tabbing, parenthesis matching, and even find and replace. With that said, there are two small downsides:

• The Insert Field functionality will no longer work
  • Tabs count as spaces, so you could run into character limits on large formula

Force.com Utility Belt

The Force.com Utility Belt is jam packed with different Salesforce functionality. Using the Force.com Utility Belt, you can quickly access Salesforce documentation, search against specific Salesforce sites, and even converts IDs from 15 digits to 18 digits.

Salesforce.com Quick Login As

The Salesforce.com Quick Login As extension will allow a developer or an administrator even easier access to logging as as different users. This extension will display a popup of the user list on any given page within Salesforce and allow you to quickly login as any user you specify, keeping you on the currently viewed page. When you log out as that user, you also stay on the same page.

Salesforce.com Id Clipper

Salesforce.com Id Clipper makes it easy to copy a record’s Id to the clipboard. All you need to do is be on a record with a Salesforce Id in the URL bar and click a small icon to copy the Id.

Salesforce Navigator

Salesforce Navigator is an awesome extension that is still relatively new. Matt Lacey has a very good article on its capabilities, but essentially it will allow you to search for any screen you can find in the admin from any page. On top of that, it is even looping in the Tooling API to allow cool things like adding custom fields on the fly.

Grey Tab

Grey Tab is a neat extension that provides useful information about the current state of the page at the developer’s fingertips. It can provide the developer with the ability to see certain session information (User Id, Org Id, Session Id, etc.) as well as certain record details using sObject Describe. An interesting aspect of Grey Tab is that it is open source so you can customize it yourself if you would like to contribute as well.

Launch It!

Developed by Harshit Pandey, this simple application makes transitioning between Salesforce1 and your normal Salesforce instance a single button click.

Toggle It!

Also developed by Harshit Pandey, this application provides convenient functionality for turning off Salesforce’s Development Mode. This can make life much easier when working with Google Chrome’s Developer Tools.

As it turns out, Google Chrome isn’t just the best browser on the web, it is the best browser for Salesforce too! There are a few more plugins I haven’t discussed here, but you can check them out on the Chrome Web Store. Also, if you truly want to represent your love for everything Salesforce, you can even skin your browser with the unofficial Salesforce theme! Enjoy!

33 Responses to “Useful Google Chrome Extensions for Salesforce”

1. Anthony Lee
    September 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Great article! Love the quick login plugin!

• September 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

I am glad you liked the article. These extensions have dramatically improved my work experience from when I originally began working with the Force.com platform. I really enjoy having them.

• Chris T
      March 24, 2015 at 9:16 am #

see my comment below…

its a great plugin, but puts UN and PW in clear text in the parameters of the url it uses to log you in… normally with enough garbage to the left of it to keep if of your screen, but if you’re quick enough you can grab the whole url and copy and paste it…

assuming it hasn’t been updated since I removed it upon learning that…

2. September 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

3. September 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

I never realized how often I am still holding down the Shift key while pressing the Space bar on my keyboard until I installed the Salesforce Navigator. An amazing plugin, and I probably should have selected Ctrl+Space instead. Thanks for the list.

• September 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I am glad you like it. I agree, the Salesforce Navigator is pretty awesome. I have to thank Matt Lacey for pointing it out to me. It is pretty cool.

4. Peter Knolle
    September 16, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Awesome reference, Jesse. I was not aware of the Grey Tab extension. Very interesting.

• September 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Grey Tab is actually made by Chris Peterson, a fellow SFSE member. It is a pretty neat extension. Glad you enjoyed the list!

5. Cherry Yan
    September 17, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Great articles, Thanks for sharing.

6. Sathyamoorthi
    September 19, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Hi, Nice Article. I jus wanna know is there any addon for viewing debug logs on the fly???

• September 19, 2013 at 8:55 am #

To be honest, I’m not sure. I haven’t really looked into it much. I always use the Developer Console to view debug logs. If you find anything good for viewing the debug logs, please let me know!

• Rajiv Bhatt
      March 4, 2014 at 6:59 am #

Can you please ellaborate on your requirement? I would be glad to work on something that would be helpful 🙂

• Ameya
        March 4, 2014 at 9:50 am #

Hi,
        Its very useful and time saving extension. Please tell me how can i use the same directly on debug logs. I am beginner user of salesforce. Please give me process to use the same.

Thanks
        Ameya

• Chris T
      March 24, 2015 at 9:14 am #

If you open your dev console you can view debug logs that you create while its open (its a tab on the window near the bottom)

theres also a way to filter them to only show certain information but I cannot quite figure it out… at least theres a system debug only checkbox near the bottom in the dev console when you’re viewing the logs themselves, helpful but not perfect if you’re running into a debug log size limit…

7. Meredith Salget
    October 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Thank for the post! I’ve heard of many of these, but I’m looking forward to using Grey Tab, Quick Login As and the Enhanced Formula Editor. Cool stuff!

8. November 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Nice list! Also worth checking out: my colleague Kirk Steffke’s Code & Query Keeper (http://blog.crmscience.com/2013/04/download-our-chrome-extension-code-and.html) for working with Workbench and the Admin Assistant — which has some bennies for devs as well (http://blog.crmscience.com/2013/04/download-our-chrome-extension-code-and.html).

9. Ameya
    January 23, 2014 at 5:29 am #

Hi,
    This is really fantastic and helpful. Thanks fro sharing. Developed with most used browser thats the great thing.

10. Rajiv Bhatt
    March 4, 2014 at 6:39 am #

Hi,

I found his blog very useful. Infact, it insipred me to write an extension by myself. I wrote an extension that does the following in just “One-Click”:

1. Displays all SOQL queries from the debug logs along with their execution counts.
    2. It also displays all the related objects (on which these queries were executed) along with their execution counts.

These statistics usually help in debugging the error “Too Many SOQLs”. They would also help you to optimize the performance of your application.

The extension is available @ https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/soql-extractor-and-analyz/deihalhihjdilndoidoclmhmgllebkfj

Feedback most welcome!

Cheers and keep writing!

11. March 5, 2014 at 9:45 am #

Grey tab was unknown to me. Will try it now. Thanksk for sharing !

12. Ajit
    April 4, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Very useful blog and extensions are very powerful tools during development and day to day administration. Thanks for sharing.

13. Arpan Kumar Patra
    June 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Jesse

Great article!

I would like to share my chrome extension “Salesforce Autosave & Recover Code (ARC)” to this list of awesome extensions for Salesforce. The link for the extension is https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/salesforce-autosave-recov/ikhffihfnmfolponkdamnbognhnljclg?hl=en&authuser=1.

Thanks
    Arpan (appy)

14. October 4, 2014 at 1:27 am #

Please review this extension that I built and provide suggestions/improvement

15. Brian
    November 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Does any one know a link to install a Salesforce.com Id clipper using the Right Click on the mouse? It has the option to copy 15-digit Id or 18-digit Id. It’s so lovely feature to copy Id by just right click over a Salesforce link.

16. March 17, 2015 at 11:11 am #

Hi Jesse,

Great list, really most of them are must and are already on my chrome 🙂

May be you wanna share this chrome extension too – Enhance Salesforce Dashabord – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhance-salesforce-dashbo/mogildlgjglckdcfclpbcbidpdkjgeeb

Do you need real-time information from your Salesforce Dashboards and additional (up to 7) columns of Dashboard components? With this amazing Chrome Extension, now you can!

Salesforce only allows you to refresh Dashboards daily, weekly, or monthly. With Enhance Salesforce Dashboard, you can now have “up to the second” real time information*. Use options to set auto refresh frequency/duration.

Salesforce by default shows only 3 components in one row of a Dashboard. With Enhance Salesforce Dashboard, you can increase the columns up to 7 i.e. show 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 components in one row of a Dashboard. Use options to set number of Dashboard columns.

Install it to discover what you thought was not possible. Real Time and Enhanced Salesforce Dashboards!

Chirag

17. Chris T
    March 24, 2015 at 9:10 am #

FYI, didn’t read the comments but, SF Logins unless is has been sufficiently upgraded since last I used it (which is very well could have been) will place the Username and password in CLEAR TEXT in the url string… I use if for developer orgs i use on the side but NEVER for anything production wise (or dev ors within my organization)

just trying to let people know what they can get into…

18. Scott Fletcher
    April 2, 2015 at 5:14 am #

I’d love to see an extension that would do this:

1. user clicks a Salesforce URL from outside Salesforce (such as from a spreadsheet, email or chat message).

2. IF user is logged into Salesforce Console (formerly known as the Service Cloud Console), the extension transforms the URL from the traditional format (e.g., https://na1.salesforce.com/%5Brecord ID] to the console format (https://na1.salesforce.com/console#%2F%5Brecord ID] ) and redirects to that URL.

The result will be that the Salesforce URL will open in the console. This would be a great aid to adoption for any org moving from the traditional to the console UI, because it prevents users being sent out of the console back to the traditional UI just because someone has sent them a link, etc.

19. Iryna
    May 4, 2015 at 5:24 am #

Thank you for the great article. I’m also using 3rd party solution that sync SF and Outlook, it’s called Contact Monkey (http://www.contactmonkey.com/salesforce-for-outlook). This tool helps me to connect with my customers more effectively than ever before. Knowing when proposals and e-mails are being reviewed has helped me to shorten the sales cycle. But the biggest benefit that it saves over copying and pasting email conversations from Outlook into Salesforce.

20. December 10, 2016 at 5:49 am #

Just want to add the Chrome Extension I’ve recently published, the Salesforce ORGanizer https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/salesforce-organizer/lojdmgdchjcfnmkmodggbaafecagllnh, which includes credentials saving, easy links, tab icon color change (ease tab recognition) and a developer console on every Salesforce tab opened….and more coming in the next releases http://salesforce-organizer.enree.co

21. Abhishek Verma
    February 13, 2017 at 7:34 am #

Hello Jesse Altman
    I have developed a chrome extension “VFWIZARD” for salesforce developer which is the first chrome extension which allows you to create your HTML/Visualforce code using Drag n Drop.
    Please download by clicking below link and share your feedback
    Thanks and regards
    Abhishek Verma

22. Ayub
    September 7, 2017 at 2:11 am #

I got inspiration and built a chrome plugin for the same – to reach all list view- whether a custom object, tab or any setup element list as well as quick link with apex classes and triggers: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/salesforce-hit-the-list/emjeecoeojjncobbfekhfboajgnpcojc

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Building My First Google Chrome Extension for Salesforce | Michael Welburn - January 27, 2014

[…] couple months ago I came across Jesse Altman’s blog post titled Useful Google Chrome Extensions for Salesforce. Up until that time I hadn’t even realized that there might be a library of useful extensions […]